In this post, we’ll talk about the JAMB and WAEC subject combinations for English Language, plus other requirements.
Furthermore, we have included answers to some of the frequently asked questions regarding obtaining a degree in English Language.
Nevertheless, it remains important to take note of the little differences before completing your JAMB application.
Generally, Nigerian Universities require at least 5 credit passes in O’level, to include English Language and 4 other relevant subjects.
Requirements for Studying English Language at Nigerian universities
‘O’ level subject combination (WAEC, NECO, etc.)
To be eligible for admission to study English Language, you must score at least 5 SSCE credit passes, which must include Literature in English, English Language and three other Arts or Social Science subjects.
In other words, the NABTEB, NECO or WAEC subject combination for English Language is Literature in English, English Language, plus any 3 of Religious Studies, Geography, Economics, History, Government or other relevant subjects. In total, you must not score below five credits in at most 2 sittings combined.
Special considerations for the O’level requirements
- UNIBEN, Benue State University and The University of Jos accept TCII at merit level.
- UNIBADAN requires 5 or 6 ‘O’ level credit passes at one or two sittings to include Lit-in-English, English Language, one other Arts subject and any other two or three subjects from Arts, Social Sciences or Science.
- AUGUSTINE, EBSU and COVENANT also require a credit in Mathematics and two other Arts or Social Science subjects.
- Bayero University Kano and the University of Benin require at least one other Arts subject.
- FED-LAFIA and Lagos State University require five ‘O’ level credit passes to include Literature in English, English Language, Mathematics and one other Arts subjects.
- UNILORIN accepts any Arts / Social Science subjects
- The University of Port Harcourt requires Literature in English.
- FED-DUTSE and REDEEMER’S accept a pass in Mathematics.
- Umaru Musa Yar’adua University requires five O/Level credit passes in SSCE or its equivalent including English Language, English Literature and any other three credits from Arts or Social Science and a credit pass in Mathematics in not more than two sittings.
- Ajayi Crowder University requires credit passes must include English Language, Literature in English, another Arts subject and any other two subjects.
- Benson Idahossa University requires the three ‘O’ Level subjects to come from either Arts or Social Science.
- American University of Nigeria does not offer admissions direct to 200 level programs and may transfer credits relevant to it’s major at the discretion of the Dean of school.
- AUN accepts
- A’ level passes chosen from English Language, Mathematics, Economics, Geography, Government, History, Literature in English, Further Mathematics, Technical Drawing, Visual Arts, Computer Studies, Information Technology, Civics, Environmental Science, Biology, Physics, Chemistry and French.
- ICGSE and ‘A’ level Cambridge
- American University of Nigeria does not accept credit passes in the following; Agriculture, Food and Nutrition, Home Economics, Home Craft, Home management, Physical Education, Physical and Health Education, Music, Commerce, Accounting, Financial Accounting, Bookkeeping, Islamic History, Religious Studies, Tajweed, Library Studies, Diction, Kiswahili, Igbo, Hausa, Yoruba, Arabic, Turkish, Study skills.
- OAU requires Five “O” level credit passes to include Literature-in-English and English Language and one other Art subject plus any other subject.
- ABU requires five ‘O’ level credit passes to include Lit. in English, English Language and any other Arts or Social Science subjects.
- Nile University of Nigeria accepts any Arts/Social Science subject.
- UNIKINGS and REDEEMER’S require five ‘O’ Level credit passes to include English Language, Literature-in-English and at least a pass in Mathematics.
- Bayero University, Kano requires five O’ Level Credit passes to include Literature in English, English language plus three other Arts subjects
- KWASU accepts credit passes in English Language, Literature in English plus three Arts subjects or English Language, Literature in English, two Arts subjects and one science subject or English Language, Literature in English, two social science subjects and one Arts subject.
- AUE and UYO require a credit in Mathematics and other two subjects.
- FED-DUTSE accepts five SSCE Credit passes to include English, Mathematics, and two Arts subjects and one Social Sciences. English Literature is an added advantage.
- Sule Lamido University accepts five SSCE Credit passes to include English, one Arts subjects and another Arts or Social Science subject.
- EDWIN CLARK also requires a credit pass in Government.
- Lagos State University requires credit passes in English Language, Mathematics, Literature-in-English, and any two French, History/Government, CRS/IRS, and any Nigerian Language.
JAMB UTME subject combination
In addition to the compulsory Use Of English, candidates who wish to study English Language at any Nigerian University must register for Literature in English, one art and subject and another subject from Arts or Social Science.
Special consideration for JAMB UTME subject combination
- AUGUSTINE, Federal University Lokoja, and ABU require Literature in English and any other two Arts or Social Science subjects.
- Nile University of Nigeria accepts any three Arts or Social Sciences subjects.
- Adeyemi University of Education and Samuel Adeboyega University require Literature in English, Government/History or any other Arts subjects.
- BOWEN does not accept Social Science subjects.
- Federal University, Dutse accepts two Arts subjects and any other Arts or Social Science subject.
- Ebonyi State University requires any two of History, CRK, Government, French, etc as the other subjects.
- Federal University Dutse also accepts English Language, Mathematics, and Literature in English.
- Sule Lamido University accepts any two Arts subjects and one other Art or Social Science subject.
- Sokoto State University accepts at least two Arts subjects and any other Social Science subject.
- Lagos State University requires English, Lit-in-English, and any two (2) of the following subjects: Yoruba, CRS/IRS, French, History, Government and any Nigerian Language.
- Christopher University requires one Social Science and one Arts subjects.
Direct Entry Requirement (A’Level)
To gain admission for English Language through Direct Entry, you need to score at least two ‘A’ level passes in Literature-in-English and one other Art subject.
Special considerations and waivers for Direct Entry Students
- Lagos State University requires very good passes in three JUPEB/A’ Level subjects: Literature-in-English and any two of Igbo/Yoruba, CRS, IRS, History, Government, Music, Fine Arts, and French.
- Adeyemi University of Education, Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu University, UNILORIN, UNIZIK, UNIMAID, Usmanu Danfodiyo University, and UNIJOS accept NCE with English major, (Candidates to spend one extra year in UNIZIK).
- The University of Port Harcourt and Imo State University do not offer direct entry.
- The University of Uyo requires a minimum of 9 points which may be from two of three GCE ‘A’ level subjects (or the equivalents, such as relevant NCE subjects to be passed at the GCE ‘A’ level) must be English Language and Literature in English.
- UNIBEN accepts NCE credit in English as main subject.
- UNIBADAN accepts at least Merit pass in two NCE teaching subjects including English Literature (NOT GENERAL ENGLISH) provided that they meet the basic ‘O’ level requirements. Accepts also2 ‘A’ level subjects to include Literature in English.
- DELSU requires:
- least merit pass in not less than two arts subjects including English at NCE or GCE A/L.
- English Language or Lit-in-English courses taken at the ND level will not be accepted for admissions.
- Gombe State University, AJAYI Crower University, and Nnamdi Azikiwe University, accept NCE (Merit) in Literature in English.
- The University of Calabar, EBSU, and UNIABUJA accept NCE (merit) in English Language.
- UNILORIN accepts NCE with English major or English with other teaching Subjects.
- Adekunle Ajasin University accepts National Diploma (at credit level) in Mass Communication.
- Nasarawa State University accepts NCE English, not below Merit level.
- Umaru Musa Yar’adua University, Katsina accepts NCE in relevant subjects in addition to five credits O/Level in not more than two sittings.
- Taraba State University and UNILORIN accept NCE with English Major
- Ajayi Crowder University accepts two ‘A’ level passes (or equivalents) in Literature in English, one other Arts subject plus three ‘O’ level credit passes.
- Benson Idahossa University requires in addition to the O’ level requirements specified, a minimum of two relevant subjects passed at GCE Advanced level or NCE (3 merits) or National Diploma in a relevant field, not below credit level.
- UNIOSUN accepts Two ‘A’ level passes to include Literature in English and other Arts subjects or NCE in English/and any other Arts subjects
- ABU accepts two ‘A’ level papers including English at IJMB/ NCE. General English/Use of English at NCE satisfies’ O’ level English requirement.
- KWASU accepts NCE with English major.
- LASU accepts Two ‘A’ level/NCE passes to include Literature in English and one other Art subject.
- AL-HIKMAH accepts two A’ level passes to include Literature in English.
- EBSU accepts NCE or ND in relevant areas of study at credit/ merit and above.
- NTNU accepts any two A’ level passes in Arts or Social Sciences subjects, ND/HND (lower credit) or NCE (merit) in relevant fields.
- FED-DUTSE accepts two A’ Level passes to include English and also accepts a minimum of nine points.
- AUE accepts NCE/OND must be at credit/merit level plus ‘O’ Level minimum requirements.
- AUGUSTINE accepts NCE or HND with credit passes in addition to 5 Credits in SSCE (or its equivalent) may be considered.
- MCPHERSON accepts JUPEB/IJMB (A’ level) or equivalent in a related discipline.
- CHRISTOPHER accepts HND, ND or NCE with credit passes in relevant subjects.
JAMB cut off mark for English Language
– Advertisement –
In general, Nigerian Universities allow students to partake in their Post UTME for English Language if they score at least 180 in the JAMB UTME.
Universities where you can study English Language
The following Nigerian universities offer English Language, as listed on the JAMB brochure:
- Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma
- Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria
- Afe Babalola University, Ado-Ekiti
- Augustine University
- Ajayi Crowther University, Ibadan
- Al-Hikmah University, Ilorin
- Arthur Javis University Akpoyubo Cross River State
- Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu University, Uli
- Adeleke University Ede
- Babcock University (with options in English Studies, Communication, and Literacy Studies)
- Yobe State University, Damaturu
- Bauchi State University, Gadau
- Bayero University, Kano
- Bowen University, Iwo
- ECWA Bingham University, New Karu
- Benson Idahosa University, Benin City
- Benue State University, Makurdi
- Caritas University, Enugu
- Covenant University Ota
- Christopher University Mowe
- Clifford University Owerrinta Abia State
- Joseph Ayo Babalola University (with options in Literature)
- Crown Hill University Eiyenkorin, Kwara State
- Edo University Iyamo
- Edwin Clark University, Kaigbodo
- Elizade University, Ilara-Mokin
- Federal University, Lokoja, Kogi State (FULOKOJA)
- Federal University, Lafia, Nasarawa State
- Federal University, Kashere, Gombe State (FUKASHERE)
- Federal University, Birnin Kebbi (FUBK)
- University of Maiduguri (UNIMAID) (with Literature)
- Federal University, Gusau Zamfara (FUGUS)
- Federal University Gashua
- Federal University, Dutsin-Ma
- Usmanu Danfodiyo University
- Federal University, Dutse
- Federal University, Ndifu-Alike Ebonyi State
- Fountain University, Oshogbo
- Gombe State University, Gombe
- University of Ilorin
- Sule Lamido University, Kafin Hausa, Jigawa
- University of Jos
- Al-Qalam University, Katsina
- Kwara State University, Ilorin
- University of Lagos
- Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida University, Lapai
- Legacy University, Okija Anambra State
- Madonna University
- Mcpherson University, Seriki Sotayo, Ajebo
- Mountain Top University
- Nasarawa State University Keffi
- Northwest University Kano
- Obafemi Awolowo University
- Olabisi Onabanjo University, Ago Iwoye
- Paul University, Awka
- University of Port-Harcourt
- Plateau State University Bokkos
- Nigeria Police Academy Wudil
- Redeemer’s University, Mowe
- Ritman University, Ikot Ekpene, Akwa Ibom
- Samuel Adegboyega University, Ogwa
- Sokoto State University
- Taraba State University, Jalingo
- Usmanu Danfodiyo University
- Umar Musa Yar’adua University Katsina
- Kings University
- Osun State University Osogbo
- University of Uyo
- National Open University of Nigeria
The following universities offer English and Literature:
- Abia State University
- American University of Nigeria
- The University of Benin
- Ebonyi State University
- Federal University Wukari
- Nile University of Nigeria
- Nnamdi Azikiwe University
Federal University, Otuoke Offers the course as English Language and Communication Studies.
All the variations above have the same requirements.
What is the English Language course all about?
It is an academic discipline that teaches beginning, intermediate and advanced levels of speaking, reading and writing in English.
Frequently asked questions
Is English Language a Commercial or Art course?
English Language is an Art Course and, as such, is placed under the faculty of Arts for most Nigerian Universities.
How competitive is English Language at Nigerian Universities
Gaining admission to study the course is a bit competitive, as it is a highly popular field.
Can Science Students study English Language?
Unfortunately, the course requirements do not accommodate science students since most of them do not offer Literature in English. Therefore, any science student that wishes to study English Language may have to retake SSCE.
What Jobs can I apply for after a degree in English?
After obtaining a degree in English Language you are qualified to apply for the following jobs: Technical Writer, Grant Writer, Librarian, Editor, Content Manager, among others.
How many years do you have to spend studying English Language?
Generally, you have to spend at least 4 years to obtain a degree in English Language at most Nigerian Universities.
We advise you to check the latest JAMB brochure for more information, as the Universities reserve the right to alter their requirements for studying English Language.